13 June 2019

You Eat Meat Because It Tastes Good, Everything Else is Bullshit

Before you even 
part your lips,
I know what’s coming
I’ve heard it all before

At least 
have the 
common courtesy
to be honest
with me
with yourself
with the animals

You don’t care
Not enough
to change
anyway

At least own it
At least accept it
Don’t justify it
with nonsense,
with lines your 
society has taught 
you to regurgitate
so that you can  
more easily block out
the images 
of the slaughterhouse

“I need protein”
You aren’t eating a 
bacon double cheeseburger 
for your health

Your grandfather 
didn’t die of 
protein deficiency
He died
from the number
one cause of death
in America,
from clogging 
his arteries
due to his diet

So don’t bother
thoughtlessly
spouting “protein”
It isn’t original
That ship has sailed

“If we didn’t eat them,
they’d take over the world”
I beg your pardon,
I didn’t think your 
excuses could get 
any more desperate,
but I was wrong

Perhaps you could 
benefit from a 
refresher course
in supply and demand

When we stopped
playing Atari,
Atari games didn’t
overpopulate 
the planet,
they just made less

“God gave us…”
Hold up!
If you aren’t
munching on
God-given horses,
then your argument
has already 
crumbled
beneath you

“It is so expensive
to eat vegan”
The cost of 
a can of beans 
and a jar of 
peanut butter
must have 
skyrocketed 
since I last 
strolled down 
the grocery store aisle

Don’t forget
my all-time
personal favorite
justification
for eating meat:
“If we didn’t eat them,
they’d go extinct.”
You are afraid
the little piggies
might die
if you don’t kill them?

“But what 
if you were
stranded on…”
I’m not
You’re not
In fact,
you’ve never met 
one single 
fucking person
who was ever 
stranded 
on a deserted island
So why would 
you make ethical
decisions now
based on an 
absurd hypothesis?

“It’s tradition!”
So was execution
by firing squad
So was eating
fruitcake 
at the holidays
I’ve noticed that 
you’ve been willing 
to examine 
updates in
other areas

So please,
tell me again 
why you just ignored 
the bean burrito 
and ordered 
the beef one
instead
but this time,
without the 
bullshit



19 Nov 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment