27 June 2019

The Ways of Our Past Do Not Have to Become Our Future

I was taught 
to believe 
in Santa Claus,
the Easter Bunny,
God

And I did believe
in all of them,
for a time

I was taught
to wait at least
thirty minutes
after eating
before I jumped 
into the water

And I listened,
for a time 

I was taught
homosexuality 
was weird
and wrong

And I believed that,
for a time 

I was taught
to believe 
that other animals 
exist just so
we could eat them

And I did eat them,
for a time

I was taught
“i before e,
except after c,”

But it didn’t 
even work
for my own name

I was taught 
“the unexamined life 
is not worth living”

So I tried 
to examine,
to seek
my own truths

Along the way,
as we all should,
as we all must,
I changed,
I grew,
I evolved 

If advanced knowledge
and new perceptions
cannot inspire us
to freshly examine
old beliefs,
then why bother 
growing up
at all?



5 Jan 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment