23 June 2019

Against the Clock

I have one 
lone minute
to persuade you
not to kill me

Talk about racing
the time clock

My life 
literally 
hanging
in the delicate
balance
between
your fleeting 
concern for
my well-being
and the way
your mouth
salivates
when a 
faint whiff of
my grilled, 
dismembered flesh 
finds its way into 
your sharply
protruding nose

Yet, even with
unlimited time 
at my disposal,
you’d be 
hard pressed 
to call this fight 
equitable

You don’t have 
to witness my 
body fall,
fail, twitch,
squirm, bleed

Someone handles
that process for you,
in a building 
of windowless walls
that conveniently obstruct
your sight

I can’t bottle
the stench or the sound
of the slaughterhouse floor;
and you have never
stepped a single foot 
inside those walls 
of your own accord

How could I 
possibly 
convince you
I am worth more 
than a few momentary
seconds of taste,
if you won’t even
acknowledge
my existence
until you see
pieces of me
shrink-wrapped 
in the store?



17 Dec 2018
written as part of a timed poetry competition in rounds





No comments:

Post a Comment