29 June 2019

Vegans Are So Annoying

“Why don’t vegans just shut up?” I’ve read several statements recently with that basic question. “Why do vegans push their ideas on me? I’m fine if they eat plants, why can’t they be fine if I eat animals?” If you are truly interested in learning the answer, then let’s consider some examples. Read them one at a time and examine your response each time.

Vegans are so annoying. Why can’t they leave me alone and let me eat what I want?

Civil rights activists are so annoying. Why can’t they leave me alone and let me treat black people how I want?

Feminists are so annoying. Why can’t they leave me alone and let me treat women how I want?

Gay rights activists are so annoying. Why can’t they leave me alone and let me treat gay people how I want?

Why can’t these people just leave me alone and let me make my “personal choices”?

The answer to every question above is simple and consistent: because they care about the victim of your behavior. When your personal choice has a victim, it is no longer just a personal choice.

You are right, there are a lot of vegans who think you shouldn’t pay someone to kill animals for the pleasures of your taste buds. There are also a lot of civil rights activists who think no one should be racist. There are a lot of feminists who thinks sexual harassment should not be tolerated. There are a lot of LGBTQ activists who object to non-inclusive laws. So, yes, it makes sense that if your eating habits were the result of your ethics and your concern for the victim, many would not want others harming that victim either. That is consistent among every social justice issue we fight for.

The reaction is also consistent across social justice movements. Slave owners didn't like being told they shouldn't own slaves. Segregationists didn't like being told to integrate. Homophobes don't like being told they have to bake a cake or issue a marriage license for a gay wedding. Harassers don't like being told what they are doing qualifies as harassment. No one likes the ethics of their behavior being questioned. It has never made anyone comfortable. But if the dialogue doesn't happen, no progress is made. We have spent too long in our history ignoring the victim’s side of the equation when we make our choices. We can do better. 


21 Jan 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment