14 June 2019

Mississippi, We Need to Talk

I know you’re family,
but I think we need 
to distance ourselves 

I recognize that
we are far from perfect
ourselves

We’ve made mistakes,
huge ones in our past too

We still make mistakes now,
all too often,
but you are downright 
embarrassing 

It’s awkward 
explaining to our friends
why you let
people like Roy Moore
hang around the house 

I mean, there are 
children present
for fuck’s sake
Do you know how hard
it was to forgive you
for what you did to 
Emmett Till?

It’s in the past, you tell us,
you’ve changed

I want to believe you,
but I’m not seeing it

Now you and your twin, 
Alabama - whose record 
of past ills honestly 
can’t even beat yours -
are passing laws
to roll back a woman’s right
to control her own body

Seriously?
Have you learned 
nothing from your past?

Are you trying to 
ensure your place 
at the bottom rung
of every social justice
issue in history?

We all suck, Mississippi,
but you don’t even seem
to be trying to improve 

I’m embarrassed to
even admit I know you,
let alone that we’re related

Maybe it’s time you 
quietly looked to others
for guidance,
let someone else lead?

I hate to give up on family,
I remember how much
fun we all had
learning to spell your name,
but if you don’t start 
showing some moral integrity,
we might have to sever ties

The next time we pass on the street,
it might be time to avoid eye contact,
pretend we are strangers,
just keep walking

Don’t worry,
I’m sure Alabama 
will still talk to you

13 Jun 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment