28 January 2021

Ten Things I Remember About January 28, 1986


1. I didn't yet know hope could just explode, without a warning sing


2. But I knew Julie Paolano was the cutest girl in school

 

3. I wasn’t in school that day

 

4. I was home with my grandmother watching a television with the screen built into its wooden stand

 

5. The flash lit the screen

 

6. I was naïve enough that even when the rocket burst into flames in front of my eyes, I believed it was only a test run, because it couldn’t have happened if people were on board

 

7. My grandmother had to tell me I was wrong

 

8. My illusion was not the only thing that shattered that day

 

9. My grandmother lasted eleven more years than the Challenger, but her demise held warning signs I had since learned to recognize

 

10. The warning signs failed to make the loss any easier



28 Jan 2021





 

No comments:

Post a Comment