01 July 2019

Roses from Nantucket

Roses are red,
the man from Nantucket said
Though I’m not sure he’d
sniffed one his whole life

Violets are blue
He said that too
Though I’d wager
he couldn’t tell
one from an orchid

So there he sits,
all broken-hearted
I didn’t realize
he was color blind



28 Jul 2018
Dedicated to my vintage base ball team
I was writing a poem and I needed one more word for ways we can drink (chug, gulp, etc). The guys I play ball with know a lot about drinking, perhaps less about poetry, but that was unimportant. So I sent a text message to them and they indeed gave me an answer that worked perfectly. However, when they asked why I asked, they proceeded to text back lines from the poems referenced here (Roses are red, There once was a man from Nantucket). So I turned it into a poem. This one is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment