05 July 2019

Loneliness is a Persistent Muse

There is no one to hold me,
no one to whisper my name

I have failed,
I have fled,
I have overlooked,
I have escaped
the possibilities
of the past

Bright dreams 
that were sharply,
painfully shattered
and ones that became diluted
as their brightness faded
in the cold sunshine
of everyday reality

I have both felt 
and caused pain

Heartaches 
I would gladly bear 
a second time
for just one more chance,
hell, one more moment

Heartaches 
I would actively avoid,
knowing now how 
they played out

And yet, in these moments,
none of this eases the pain,
that I am alone

I will be fine tomorrow,
I tell myself
when rest brings a new day,
and I may well be

But loneliness 
is a persistent muse
who creeps 
unexpectedly,
unwanted,
awkwardly
into my thoughts,
on her terms,
in her time

She says hello
in moments I wish 
she would remain silent

But at least someone
is talking to me


3 Jul 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment