08 July 2019

My Suffering Was of No Concern

I know which way
I’m meant to go

But the echoes
of screams
fill my ears
and the stench
of blood
engulfs my nostrils

No one
walks that way
intentionally

Metal walls and
an electric prod
ensure
my lack
of alternatives

We’re marched
in a line
one after the next

Fear spreads around us
It's in our cries
It's on our breath

The humans around us,
seemingly oblivious
to our pain,
force us to continue
through the twists
and the turns
towards 
the terror
that lies ahead

When I turn 
the next corner,
the sight stops me 
in my tracks

Endless rows 
of bodies hanging
upside down
with blood 
gushing out

I struggle,
I writhe

The narrow walls
leave me no chance 
to turn around 

Frantic steps
backwards
only slam me
into other cows
and continual prods
of electricity 

Only five in front,
Now only four
as one more body 
falls limp to the floor

The exits are all 
blocked from our path
There’s no turning around
There’s no turning back

Hooks hoist the bodies
without sympathy
slowly into the air

Now only three
remain between me and
my unavoidable fate

I know my cries
are of no use
but they pour
regardless

My screams
are the only things
that will escape
today

Two others are 
now all that 
separate me 
from the horror 
of the front 
of the line

I try to obscure 
the shocking sight,
the putrid smells, 
the horrifying sounds,
the cold shivers
of reality 
that pierce my body

with dreams
of grass and fields
and the distant memory
of my mother

but how can you
conceal from yourself
the reality of the fate
so visibly 
terrorizing your eyes

Sympathy,
kindness, 
and tenderness
will never again
know my name

The metal cylinder
pierces the head of
the last one 
remaining in front,
the last delay
to what lies ahead
for my final breath

But her body 
doesn’t fall limp
She squirms
She fights

The life remains 
within her
but the cold 
metal hooks,
without even a hint
of compassion,
raise her defiant,
rebellious body, 
uninterested
in the pain 
so visibly 
on display
in her glossy eyes

The vision haunts me
more deeply
than anything
this horrifying day
has yet produced

I wish I could tell you
how her desperate 
struggle for life ends 
but the cold, metal 
cylinder approaches
and there is no one
left in front of me



10 Nov 2018




No comments:

Post a Comment