04 June 2020

Your Signs Hurt My Senses

To my neighbor 
with the nine Trump signs
lining your driveway,

I see you’ve been on board
with the re-election campaign
since he first lost the popular vote,

eagerly anticipating
how many more pussies
there were yet to grab

I see your signs as a wall,
a feeble attempt to keep away
those you’ve never met,
yet still somehow despise

I see these signs 
forming the cage
surrounding and trapping
those naïve or hopeful enough 
to think they could seek
refuge in a country
that treated them 
slightly less shitty
than the one they
were running from

I see them as a wall
around a uterus
you have tried 
to seize from its owner

I see your signs as a cry
to open the beaches,
letting us swim with sharks,
our torn flesh feeding
the unquenchable economy

My closed car windows 
don’t prevent my ears
from hearing your
regurgitated epithets of
“I’m not racist, but…”
 and “all lives matter” 

and I imagine the 
mental gymnastics 
you must practice 
each morning with 
unfaltering dedication 
to allow yourself 
to believe your sincerity 
in either claim

Your signs scream with
the piercing pops of gunshots
and the rumble of tanks,
a war you have declared
to silence the protests 
against an injustice
you pretend does 
not even exist

I hear your 
boastful proclamations 
that facts are irrelevant 
and science is a liberal plot
you’re too smart
to fall for

I smell the sexism,
the racism, 
the entitlement,
and the stench
is more than 
I can handle

Not wanting to get
close enough to touch, 
I quickly make the turn 
towards the respite 
of my own home,
with the poor taste
still lingering in my mouth


25 May 2020
stanza added 3 Jun 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment