03 June 2020

Kickball and Brimstone

We line the recess fence,
metaphorical lambs 
being led to what I hope 
is only metaphorical slaughter

The whispers begin,
even before the captains
commence the long-winded
explanation of rules

If you kick the ball
with the wrong foot,
Jerry claims,
God boots you off
his team immediately

(I didn’t even know
there was a wrong foot)

They say there was a time, 
adds Pearl, 
God drowned his whole team
for not listening, 
except for just one family 
and a couple giraffes

(The stakes were higher
than I thought)

Satan starts with his rules
“Eh. Whatever.”

(Oh, or maybe not)

But God pulls out a book
that brings groans 
from its sheer size

(I got lost in the begats
and admittedly tuned out
for a time)

I love you, 
but if you don’t do it right,
God’s deep voice demanded,
your body will be kept alive 
and scorched for eternity

(Somehow I wasn’t feeling
all warm and fuzzy)

Satan’s eyes gleamed
at the burning part

(A bunch of pyromaniacs)

I decided I didn’t want 
to play after all


30 Jun 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment