02 June 2020

Wishing You Could Walk on Your Own (For Samuel DuBose)

Samuel DuBose,
The first time I heard your name,
it was written in marker on my arm,
almost five years after the 
gunshot entered your head

My lack of name recognition 
was both my fault and the fault 
of a country that allows this to happen 
more often than I can keep count

A suspended license becoming another death sentence,
at the hands of an officer whose eager hands
were all over your door and whose
itchy trigger finger didn’t wait to follow his shouts of stop,
both almost simultaneously entering your brain

The bodycam footage and falsified police report 
leading only to a hung jury, dismissed charges

So instead of playing with your children,
recording music, and riding your motorcycle
on this warm May day,
you were reduced to a name on my arm
as I stood in a parking lot full of arms

yet there was no shortage of names
to fill the waiting arms


1 Jun 2020




No comments:

Post a Comment