26 May 2020

Laying Flowers on the Tomb of Peace

I’m sorry 
for your fallen sacrifice
and for those left to mourn
your permanent absence

I’m sorry for
inconvenient oil prices,
fading poll numbers,
and intentional misinformation

I’m sorry for 
unprovoked attacks,
eyes for preemptive eyes

I’m sorry we made sure
your only chance 
to attend college
was to roll the dice
on whether you would first 
enhance or shatter 
your brain 

I’m sorry 
so many countries 
decided mothers’ cries
were acceptable 
collateral damage

I hope 
we don’t use the valiant 
offering of your life
to justify continuing 
this repetitive cycle
until it engulfs your
grieving children,
and theirs after them

I’m sorry 
that after all these 
years of existence
the best we have achieved
is holding peace hostage
at the end of a barrel


25 May 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment