22 May 2020

I-80 Is a Ribbon of Death

Idaho to Pennsylvania,
thirty-five hours of road


Nature beckons through my window,
fields and trees, lush and lovely,
bright with the colors of spring


My focus, my peace,
interrupted, shattered 
by the procession of endless of identical trucks 


Crammed tightly,
bound for a hell I can’t help but imagine,


Passengers whose value is dictated 
solely by the taste of their flesh


Or else empty,
because death has already commenced


As the trucks whiz by,
light pours through the holes, 
the empty spaces
only recently, 
like their former passengers, 
devoid of movement and life


Even if I would avert my eyes,
I would feel them there


I am trapped between 
opposing views

On my right,
life germinates from the seed

On my left,
life makes a final, unheeded plea


From one window,
open spaces

From the other, 
confinement


This side,
beautiful prairies

But that side,
diesel, blood, death


Peace calls starboard,
but port offers only
profound grief


20 May 2020

(based on the experiences of my friend, Sandra Ganey)

No comments:

Post a Comment