30 April 2020

Redundant Circles Never Leading Anywhere

The slight hint
of green is enough
to excite my feet
rapidly into motion,
wind rippling 
through my fur

For a moment,
I feel alive

The thrill dies
in a few short strides
as I’m met with bars,
a gate, a fence, a wall
A trap I can’t seem 
to escape

Déjà vu,
every damn day

My life defined,
enclosed,
by the men who 
built my narrow bars,
selling tickets 
so children could see
the sad remnants 
of my caged life

I pace in desperation,
my life reduced
to redundant circles
never leading me anywhere

Despite the illusion
of comfort,
my body knows
that trapped
is not where I belong


Mar 2020

This was written as part of The Zoo, which is a collaboration (in writing and performance) with Zach, combining music and poetry. You can view the full piece here:


No comments:

Post a Comment