29 November 2019

There Are Times I Feel Like John Turturro

I’ve spent many a night
with John Turturro
Well, to be fair,
he was using 
a different name
at the time,
Pino or Paulie
or Bernie Bernbaum

Pete Hogwallop
has bantered in 
my living room
on multiple occasions

And, sure, 
he isn’t always 
a great guy,
I wouldn’t leave 
Jesus Quintana 
unsupervised
with my children

Turturro can be tender,
but also gruff, 
even despicable

But each night
we’ve spent together,
no matter the 
pseudonym, 
is no less real than 
any other

And if I’m being honest,
maybe we aren’t 
that different,
he and I

I might not change
from Herbie Stemple
to Barton Fink
with the flick 
of a button,
but I do change

I’ve played roles,
without the camera rolling,
acted in ways 
to fit my surroundings,
to make a better 
first impression,
to maintain professionalism
before clocking out
for the day 
to relax at home 
and be myself,
maybe grab a DVD
and see who John
will be tonight


20 Nov 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment