18 November 2019

Screaming With My Indoor Voice

As I look all around,
things sure don’t seem right
But be calm, I’m told
You must be polite

While they laugh at science
and plans that are green,
treating the planet
like an ATM machine 

Withdrawing continuously 
without a hint of regret 
Thinking, like America,
the earth will function in debt 

Be polite, they tell us,
don’t shout with the truth 
as we steal the future
breath by breath from the youth

Our whispers unheard,
our warnings unheeded 
Perhaps raising our voice 
is exactly what’s needed

But if I speak too loudly 
or with too much force,
it’s dismissed as cranky,
snowflake discourse

While we stand behind 
leaders the KKK endorsed 
and confirm judges who
fulfilled urges with force

At times such as these
silence can’t be our choice
Will it help if I scream
with my indoor voice?

A "radical" vegan
with the "radical" choice 
of choosing compassion 
to be my voice 

You ask for my calmness
while you pick up your knives 
and place your orders
to end their lives

I see violence and suffering
on plate after plate
But if I point it out, 
I irritate

I won’t sit in silence 
despite your request 
as you swallow your victims 
and let them digest

A strange definition 
of a personal choice
But I’ll try to scream
with my indoor voice

The Christians keep finding
more people to hate
while they brag that this 
will make America great

If we don’t see the need
for our voices to rise
then take off the red hat
that’s covering our eyes 

My silence may be
the easier choice 
but I choose to scream
with my indoor voice

I see ones I love
support causing harm
It’s long past time 
to ring the alarm

I can still love you 
and not agree with your choice
So I’ll love you while screaming
with my indoor voice

For love and compassion,
for justice and peace,
until all feel safe
when they’re stopped by police

Until our values
align with our choice
We all should be screaming
with our indoor voice


29 Sep 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment