11 February 2020

Seven Billion Voices

There are seven billion voices 
Only one of them is mine 

Their voices seemed louder, 
and there were so many 

It was overpowering 
My voice seemed small, 
insignificant in comparison 

It can seem like 
no one is listening, 
no one cares 

What good could come 
from my lone voice? 

Perhaps I should be quiet, 
even fall silent, 
and let others 
control the discussion 

But if I listen closely, 
the narrative is not as consistent 
as they would like me to believe 

I hear other voices 
that sound more like mine 
They only seemed faint 
because they were further away, 
drowned out by the crowd’s 
boisterous chants of 
“it has to be this way” 

With my ears tuned 
to this frequency, 
these divergent voices 
have strength and volume, 
they are far from quiet 

A collection of voices 
can only be created 
one by one
The narrative can change 

The chorus is singing 
from a book of blank pages 

Pages that only together, 
over time, will we fill 

My heart is not weak 
My brain, fully functioning 
My voice, no less important 

There are seven billion voices 
And one of them 
is mine 


2 Dec 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment